Are you, Energy Poor? Energy Neutral? Or Energy Rich?
This post’s topic?
How to achieve your goal of "More Energy."
Don’t believe the hype.
Today’s commercials seem obsessed with having more energy. The energy drink industry alone is currently bringing in about $12.2 billion per year in the USA. Drugs, diet fads, miracle products are all promising to deliver More Energy while making you "look good".
Clearly something is NOT working!
Currently, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), the USA ranks 37th in health care systems (Costa Rica beat us, coming in at 36!) In fact, in a study commissioned by the National Research Council and the Institute of Medicine to better understand American’s comparative health, here is the headline:
New Health Rankings: Of 17 Nations, U.S. Is Dead Last
Well what does work?
Network Spinal Analysis and Somato Respiratory Integration are two of the best and most efficient ways to develop "Energy Richness". If you aren’t coming in regularly -- Come in and get “Energy Rich!”
Nutritional Supplements which is the focus for the rest of this post.
With only 3 supplements a day you could have more energy, better health, and live a longer life.
"I don't need to take supplements;
I'll just eat a good diet!"
I am a doctor and this is something I used to say! Then I was introduced to the overwhelming research over the last 30+ years on diet and nutrition. I was shocked to find out that most of what I believed was wrong!
The truth is:
You cannot get enough of the proper nutrition from eating a healthy diet. How we currently grow our food is depleting the soil of vital nutrients while depending more heavily on pesticide use to increase yields.
Fact: You would have to eat three apples today to get the nutritional equivalent of one apple pre 1940.
Bottom Line, we all need to supplement our diet!
So what are the three supplements that can increase life, health, and energy?
#1 MUST TAKE Supplement – Fish Oil
Fish Oil- Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids are fundamental to normal healthy functioning of your body and nervous system.
It is "Essential" because the only way we can get them is in our diet. Our bodies cannot make them from something else. We evolved eating a diet of two Essential Fatty Acids (Omega 6 and Omega 3) roughly in a 1:1 or 2:1 ratio. Our current Western diet contains a ratio of between 10:1 to 20:1.
Why do we care about the ratio?
Chronic disease begins at a ratio of 15:1 and the average American is at 25:1! (Note how this ties in to Americans worldwide health rankings mentioned above!)
Why aren’t there more Omega 3’s in our food?
Because Omega 3's are easily oxidized (i.e. they go bad). They have been removed from most of our food to increase shelf life. Even the meat you eat no longer contains significant levels of Omega 3's because the animals are mostly fed grains (which are high in Omega 6's).
All Omega 3 supplements are NOT created equal!
It is very important that your supplements are of the highest quality. Many Fish oils on the market contain contaminants and toxins such as mercury and PCB's. To be sure you get what you need, check these criteria before buying:
- Make sure you get one that is third party certified and molecularly distilled.
- The ratio of EPA to DHA (the two main components of fish oil) should be 2:1 EPA to DHA (double the amount of EPA to DHA).
How much should I take?
The amount to take (if you do not already have chronic disease) is 3000 mg per day. If this sounds like a lot, get tested!!
We have a simple test here at the office that is relatively inexpensive and can tell you the exact ratio of your Omega 6's to Omega 3's.
Come in and get tested!
#2 MUST TAKE Supplement – Vitamin D
Why is taking Vitamin D3 so important?
Here are the facts of increased risk:
- Approximately 50% of the healthy North American population and 80% of those with chronic disease are vitamin D deficient.
- The occurrence of the common cold and influenza shows clear seasonality. The cold and influenza season corresponds to the season of vitamin D insufficiency. Over a 3 year period, taking 800 IU of vitamin D3 reduced the incidence of colds and flu by 70%. Taking 2000 IU of vitamin D3 reduced the incidence of colds and flu to nearly zero. That means it is more successful than a flu shot!
- Populations living at higher than 30 deg. latitude in either the northern or the southern hemisphere (that is most of the United States), or who have mainly an indoor lifestyle, have a high(er) risk of breast, colon, ovarian, and many other types of cancer as a result of highly prevalent vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D deficiency is linked to: Osteoporosis, Cardiovascular disease, Cancer, Autoimmune disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Pain, Loss of cognitive function, Decreased strength, Increased rate of all-cause mortality.
- Autism may be caused by gestational and early childhood vitamin D deficiency, an iatrogenic deficiency brought on by medical advice to avoid the sun, advice that tragically failed to compensate for the consequent “epidemic of vitamin D deficiency.”
- Vitamin D supplements are associated with decreases in total mortality rates.
- High levels of vitamin D, a potent immunomodulator, decrease the risk of Multiple Sclerosis.
- Women who used supplemental vitamin D had a 40% lower risk of MS than women who did not.
- Taking vitamin D supplements for more than 10 years lowered the risk of developing MS by 59%.
- Vitamin D supplements in the first year of life, reduces the risk of type-1 diabetes.
- The evidence that vitamin D has profound effects on innate immunity is rapidly growing. Vitamin D is the "antibiotic vitamin" due primarily to its robust effect on innate immunity.
- Vitamin D influences both the incidence and survival of cancer. Higher serum levels of vitamin D3 are associated with substantially lower incidence rates of colon, breast, renal, pancreatic, aggressive prostate and other cancers.
Dosage should be 10,000 IU per day for three months (called a loading dose), then reduce to 5000 IU per day ongoing.
Note: Prolonged intake of 10,000 IU of supplemental Vitamin D3 “is likely to pose no risk of adverse effects in almost all individuals.”
Again, if you have any doubts, Get Tested!
This test is done through a lab. You can ask your family physician OR
We can order this Vitamin D lab test for you.
#3 MUST TAKE Supplement – A good Multi-Vitamin.
A good quality Multi-Vitamin without copper.
We have already established that our food no longer contains enough nutrition to sustain us. To offset this take the best quality multi-vitamin that you can afford.
- Better products use organic fruits and vegetables in their composition without any fillers.
- There is growing evidence that links copper with Alzheimer’s disease. Here in the United States, we get plenty of copper from our water supply (copper pipes) so it is essential to reduce copper intake in all supplements.
- Take the best quality multi-vitamin that you can afford.
I did my best to consolidate the information. There are volumes of research spanning decades on all these topics. Let me know if you have any questions.
The supplement market can be overwhelming with so many products making all kinds of claims, please remember buyer beware!
Or take my recommendation.
To make it simpler for you, I have narrowed down the choices to my top recommendations for products that are safe, effective and excellent quality.
We sell all three recommended products here at the office.
Come in and let us help you!
Ask about our Nutrition Energy Rich challenge.
If you don’t notice an energy rich difference within 1 month, I will meet with you personally to see how we can help you meet your Energy Rich goals!
Let’s talk soon.
Live long and prosper!!!
Yours in Health,
Dr. Rick Munn